Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Wordless Wednesday

Me and my brother!

My brother passed away roughly 14 years ago. He was 23ish at the time and I was three years younger. I am terrible with dates and years and that time of my life was such a blur. I will never forget that night though. My parents woke me up in the middle of the night and said he had been in an accident. We piled into the car before my eyes could even focus clearly. We got to the hospital and the lady in the emergency waiting room just kept saying they didn't have a patient by that name. I didn't understand what that meant at the time. I guess in my mind she just didn't know what she was talking about. Later, what felt like forever, the coroner came out and told us that he had died in the accident. If you haven't had to experience something like this I hope you never do! I remember Holiday Inn was playing on the tv in the background. I don't remember walking to the car or going home. I called my boyfriend (now husband) and a few other friends and they all rallied around me and my family. I still feel the loss of my brother. Mostly in the daily living. Anna will never get to know her uncle. She will never get to compete with him or play wrestle with him or just laugh with him.
Please don't drink and drive! This holiday season it will be tempting to drink and then say oh I can still drive home ~ DON'T DO IT! Don't let your friends do it either!!! You are to important to make a life altering mistake like that!

3 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry about your brother. I don't have any siblings, so I can't imagine what it's like to lose one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to hear about that. We lost my grandma in a car accident (not alcohol related, though) in 1998; I was just a kid. It took me ten years to the day to grieve her passing; she was my world. It sure is hard to go through.
    Again, I'm sorry about your brother.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh candace, i'm so sorry to hear of your loss. i'm sure that years later it still hurts. those sorts of accidents seem cruel as they take a young life way too early. i'm sure he is anna's guardion angel.

    ReplyDelete

Y'all come back now ya here!